Afghan Prayer Tube Turquoise Necklace
Make a wish, utter a prayer, store your secrets in this gem of a vintage Kuchi tribal "Tumar" pendant. This classic amulet, aka a "Taweez" or "Herz," hails from Uzbekistan in Central Asia. It's a hollow cylinder tube that opens on one side—perfect for concealing wishes, prayers and secrets to repel evil and summon good luck. The antique silver metal tube is in lovely condition (over 100 years old!) and opens and closes with sweet ease. With its warm aged patina and vintage flair, it's a real keeper for your tribal fusion jewelry collection.
- One of a kind tribal necklace composed of genuine 6mm turquoise and carnelian gemstones and African silver metal accent beads.
- The two metal floral decorative pieces are vintage and were re-purposed from a Kuchi tribal “belly dance” belt.
- The women's necklace attaches with a lobster clasp and has a 1 3/4 inch silver extension chain with a tiny bell charm.
- Each side of the necklace measures approximately 10 inches, so the neckline circumference is about 20 inches. The pendant is approximately 3 1/4 inches long and a 1/4 inch thick or round.
- Turquoise Properties: Turquoise is associated with connections to the spiritual world, psychic sensitivity, and protection from harm and negative energy. The turquoise gemstone is also the symbol of friendship.
- Carnelian Gemstone Meanings: Carnelian is a red stone that represents warmth, life, vibrancy, strength, bravery, courage and creativity.
- Kuchi Tribal Jewelry: The Kuchi people of Afghanistan and Pakistan are a nomadic tribe known for creating vibrant jewelry, beadwork and clothing. The Afghan Kuchi tribe prayer tube is not gold or sterling silver, though it has a similar look with some patina. Kuchi jewelry is generally made with a brass base known as “gillet” metal. The base is about 75% – 80% brass with either copper, silver, iron or all of these metals mixed in. Then a thick silver plating is buffed on the surface and can last for years.
- We respect the integrity of vintage objects and do not clean or polish the antique metals that we use.